What is the Great Florida Riverway Reunion?
It is a day for people that love the Ocklawaha and St. Johns Rivers and Silver Springs to come together to celebrate, connect and take action to reunite the Great Florida Riverway by breaching the Rodman/Kirkpatrick Dam. It’s not just one big reunion but a series of events from the headwaters of the Ocklawaha River at Lake Apopka to the confluence of the Ocklawaha and Silver Rivers near Silver Springs, to Palatka, near where the Ocklawaha and St. Johns Rivers unite, all the way to Jacksonville where the great riverway meets the Atlantic.
Events are scheduled at Lake Apopka, Ocala Boat Club at Ray’s Wayside Park on the Ocklawaha River, Azalea Brewery in Palatka, and the Riverfront Amphitheatre at Jacksonville University.
[Cypress Seedling at Drawdown by Doug Eng.]
Saturday, Feb. 4, 10:00 a.m.: Headwaters Kick-off and Photo Op at Lake Apopka
2929 S. Binion Rd., Apopka, FL 32703
Meet at lakeside for a short Facebook live event where leaders launch the Great Florida Riverway Reunion. Be the first to get a “Reunite the Rivers” yard sign!
Hosted by: Florida Native Plant Society
Saturday, Feb. 4, 1:00-3:00 p.m.: FREE Reunite the Rivers Concert, Jacksonville, Florida
Riverfront Amphitheater at Jacksonville University, 2800 University Blvd., Jacksonville, FL 32211
Great music, beautiful venue, and food truck: https://www.stjohnsriverkeeper.org/events/
Sponsored by St. Johns Riverkeeper and Marine Science Research Institute of Jacksonville University
Saturday, Feb. 4, 2:00 to 8:00 p.m.: Great Florida Riverway Reunion
Ocala Boat Club @ Ray’s Wayside Park, 9570 NE 28th Lane, Silver Springs, FL 34488
2:00 to 6:00 p.m.: – FREE Family Fun Afternoon – Outdoor at the Ocala Boat Club**
· Short one-hour pontoon Rides by Captains Karen Chadwick and Erika Ritter ($10 for adults, $5 for children 6-12, no children under 6, cash payment only, first come, first served) *
· Kayak and canoe rentals to the location are available at Silver Springs go to http://silversprings.com/paddling/ *
· Ocklawaha arts and crafts by Fort King Presbyterian Art4All
· Manatee coloring books, puppet kits, and puzzles
· Snacks and beverages for purchase
2:00 to 4:00 p.m.: Music by the Weeds of Eden from Gainesville
4:00 to 6:00 p.m.: Music by The Hombres from NE Florida
5:00 to 6:00 p.m.: Craft beer and wine tasting
Saturday, Feb. 4, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.: Great Florida Riverway Reunion Dinner and Voices of the River
Ocala Boat Club, 9570 NE 28th Lane, Silver Springs, FL 34488 (Ticketed Event)
· Tuscan Dinner provided by Mojo’s catering
· FREE craft beer and wine tasting (continued)
· Musical Voices of the River – Scott and Kimber Davis (Ocala), Sam Hankinson (Tallahassee) with Dr. TR DeRoche (Flagler)
· Special manatee and wildlife film shot by Mark Emery
· Voices for the River – Kim Dinkins, Mark Emery (by video), Casey Fitzgerald and Science Team Members, Cynthia Graham, Margaret Spontak, Alan Youngblood
· One-hour informal jam session afterward (Bring your instrument)
Sponsored by: Free the Ocklawaha River Coalition, Save the Manatee, Florida Defenders of the Environment
* The pontoon boat rides and Silver Springs kayaks are provided by private vendors and are independent of the event producers.
** All activities will be moved into the Ocala Boat Club in the event of extreme cold or rainy weather.
Saturday, Feb. 4:00 to 7:00 p.m.: Great Florida Riverway Reunion
Azalea City Brewing Company, 120 South 7th St., Palatka, FL 32177
· No cover charge, open to the public
· Craft beer
· Cajun Knights food truck
· Manatee coloring books, puzzles, and puppet kits
· Musical entertainment by Corey on the Sax
· St. Johns River photo exhibit by Will Dickey & artist meet-and-greet
Great Florida Riverway Reunion | Facebook